Ian loves to help. Being four, he has no idea what the numbers mean, but he doesn't seem to let that get in the way of his measuring. This cross will form the base of the stool.
Here we are trying to determine the center point and mark it for aligning the two cross bars.
My welds are getting better all the time. Practice makes perfect.
Here is another angle after I cleaned it up.
The cross pieces are together. Next comes the post.
Everything is all welded up.
I think this is going to stick.
I got a little carried away here and there, but it is a good solid weld after all.
Here is the stool mocked up. I noticed here that only three of the wheels touch the floor at one time so some adjustment will be needed to square things up.
These metal plates added to the bottom of the base ought to work for squaring it up. A drill press would be nice, but this (my first power tool ever) old Craftsman drill does the trick.
Metal shaving art.
I added half of a U-bolt for an adjustment screw. I had to weld one of the nuts into a hole in the side of the base pipe.
This shot was taken after about an hour of flap disk and grinder work.
Getting all of the paint off was a big chore, but it was worth it.
Now, I just need three more and I will have a new dinette set for Erin.
Building stuff is fun.
Here it is in motorcycle mode. It converts quite easily.