I bought the welder from the Miller booth at the World of Wheels Autorama car show in Kansas City and had it drop shipped from the Miller factory.
111 pounds as shipped.
I picked up a 125cf bottle of 75% Argon and 25% CO2 from Gerken Rental in Paola, KS.
The thinner box has the welding cart in it. The helmet is Miller's least expensive auto-darkening model. I bought it at Praxair in Olathe, KS.
The unit is extremely well packed. This box was contained in a larger box and then strapped to a pallet as shown in the second picture.
Somewhere in there I should find the DVD that will teach me how to weld.
This was my first glimpse of the wild blue wonder. :o)
I don't like to read instructions. Luckily, I have Ian to guide me.
He has it all figured out. No kidding!
This stuff is starting to look like a welding cart.
I have gas.
Okay, the gas is hooked up and ready to go.
All that is left to do is load up the spool of wire and plug it in.
Here is the result of my first trip to the scrap yard.
Here I have the makings of a welding table and a grinder stand.
Here is my very first weld. I am working with a couple of pieces of scrap. These pieces are training me to weld my table together. I have no idea what is wrong, but I know that ain't right.
This is my very second weld. It still looks like crap.
For my third weld, I figured I would see how long it takes to burn a hole through some steel. I have no idea how to close this gap. I am not sure where the steel went, but it seems to have disappeared.
I made a hole on the other side. Time to see if I can build up that crappy tack weld.
I don't understand how the pitting happens, but then each pull of the trigger seems to cause all sorts of inexplicable things to happen.
All right, so I have decided to try and redeem myself by starting from the other end. I am not sure what to do about the hole.
Okay, so I squirt more metal out and it seems to cover up the really bad stuff. I am starting to get the hang of this.
My gas regulator was set too low. I think that is why the splatter and the pitting happened. At least the holes are gone.
This is starting to look like other welds I have seen only slightly more weldified. A lot of that was unnecessary, but I was noticing that my beads were looking better so I did some extra ones.
It's not pretty, but you should have seen what it looked like with all the holes burned in it.
I think that will hold.
Enough practice. Now, for my first official project: a grinder stand.
Measure once weld twice.